Tuesday, December 24, 2013

White Chicken Chili


This week we bring you white chicken chili. This is a spicy, smoky, and creamy alternative to the usual red beef chili fare. It uses green chilies, jalapenos, cumin, jack cheese, and other goodies. Take a look and try it yourself!

Recipe here and our comments below:

Dan's Version and Comments














Kaboom! That is the sensation you get when you eat this dish. There is a lot of punch packed in this offshoot on a traditional red chili. You got your green chilis, your jalapenos and your cayenne. This incredible combination will have your taste buds dancing like a Brazilian Carnival.


This dish holds a special place in my heart, as chili was the first dish Mo and I cooked back in our college days. So when Mo told me we were going to be doing a white chili, I was a little concerned at first. However heavy this dish may be, it is actually quite light at the same time, relative to red chili

Here is why I really liked this dish:

1.) I really dislike cooking chicken. With all the concerns about salmonella, people tend to overcook their chicken, Slow cooking chicken in stock often helps prevent the dry chicken outcome many of us have come to face.

2.) Like I said, chili was KC's first dish, before we were hotshot bloggers. 

3.) It's a nice variation on a food many of us have tried, but with some twists and turns. 

Here are my tips when cooking this dish: 

1.) Use precooked canned beans. Nobody has time to soak their beans and overnight cook them, which can be as long as 8 hours!

2.) If you are using precooked beans, use less broth. 

3.) For a health substitute, use greek yogurt instead of sour cream.

Mo's Version and Comments

























I enjoyed this recipe very much. Make sure to season well with salt. It's a very warming dish with a unique smokey and spicy flavor. Though I usually stick to red beef chili, this is a terrific, light alternative.

See you next week!